Friday, January 22, 2016

Random Acts of Kindness and Painful Memories

A year ago Tom was in the last week of his life.  We didn't know it at the time.  We kept hoping that the last chemo treatment would extend his life and help him feel better.  That was not to be.  During that last week, Tom had uncontrollable nausea and vomiting--every 45 minutes.  On Wednesday night, and also last week, Zora woke up in the middle of the night vomiting.  I don't know why, she seems to otherwise feel and act OK.  I wonder if she is having her own emotional/physical reaction to the upcoming anniversary.  I know that human bodies never forget traumas, and perhaps that is also true for animals, for it was very traumatic for her to lose her beloved poppa and walking partner. Because of her tummy, I replaced her normal food with rice and chicken.  And since I was out of rice, I had to make a quick run to Trader Joe's last night.

Which brings me to the second part of the story, the amazing experience I had.  After picking up the things I needed I headed to the check out line.  The checker noticed my necklace, the drum ash urn I had made to hold Tom's ashes, inspired by his favorite snare drum.  I told her the story behind the necklace and she told me she was about to cry.  I then told her that next week will be one year since he died.  She asked me what my favorite color was and told me to wait for just a moment and walked away.  She came back with flowers and said she wanted me to have them, saying that Trader Joe's cares.  It was such a kind thing to do.  When I got in the car, the song, "Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel" was playing.  I think one of those angels was at TJ's last night.  (I just realized as I typed the initials of Trader Joe's that they are the same as Tom's). 

The day before I was at the florist to arrange flowers for the party at the end of the month.  This is the same florist that did the floral arrangements for Tom's memorial.  The florist remembered me and as I left she gave me a beautiful yellow rose in memory of my husband for his memorial table at home.  I have one rose bush which seems to keep surviving its constant pruning by the deer.  It is a yellow rose bush.

There is a lot of good in the world, even in the midst of anguish.

No comments:

Post a Comment